Commercial Pest Control in Brisbane can be take care of by the professionals at Bennetts Pest Control.
Bennetts Pest Control
Common Household Pests To Look Out For This Summer
Hot days and balmy nights are what summer in Brisbane is all about. Hot weather also brings an influx of common household pests. We’re going to tell you what to look out for, and what to do about your pest control this summer.
Undoubtedly the biggest common household pest problem is the pesky white ant aka the ‘termite’. Soft bodied termites are eusocial insects, and while they are called ‘white ants’, they aren’t at all like the black ant you are familiar with. Termites are in fact, more closely related to the cockroach.
These common little household pests live in colonies in the ground, but once they get into the timber of your home, can eat away your walls and roofing.
Termites are such a problem in Queensland, it is estimated that 1 in 3 homes are affected. There are seven species of termites, some more destructive than others, but all of which are a problem to your property can cause serious damage to your property if left untreated. Damage to properties caused by termite infestation can run into tens of thousands, which is why it is important to get on top of your pest control.
How do you know if you have a termite problem?
Although termites are common household pests, to the untrained eye, you probably haven’t got a clue what to look out for, particularly because they are tiny (about half the size of a match head) and hide away in dark areas. There are a few tell-tale signs to look for, which may indicate a termite problem:
- A clicking sound coming from your walls. Termites are pretty noisy eaters, and despite being small, you may hear them chewing into your wood if you hold your ear to the wall.
- Discarded wings. Flying termites lose their wings, and it is possible to see them with the naked eye.
- ‘Packing’ on the outside of your foundation walls. These are masses of mud like matter and evidence that these common household pests have already eaten away at the timber of your home.
Although not as destructive as the termites, cockroaches are another common household pest to contend with. Cockroaches carry nasty diseases and bacteria, and have been known to affect asthma and allergies.
Cockroaches are common household pests, which eat away at your scraps of food at night, so it’s often the case that you won’t know you have a pest problem as you don’t see them.
What to look out for if you have a cockroach infestation
There are ways to tell if cockroaches, a common household pest problem, are present in your home
- You find dead cockroaches in your pantry, or anywhere else inside your home.
- You see live cockroaches during the day. Cockroaches are nocturnal, and only come out during the day when their numbers are so great, they are pushed out during daylight.
- Cockroach faeces look similar to black pepper or ground coffee.
- Roach egg casings. These look long and round, and are brown in colour.
Silverfish are another common household pest; small wingless insects, which thrive in dark, damp areas. These slippery insects feed on things like paper, flour and old glue.
How can you tell if you have a silverfish problem?
If your home suffers from a silverfish infestation, expect destruction to papers, clothing and wallpaper. If these common household pests are present in your home, you may see one or two in a sink or bathtub. It’s also possible to see silverfish faeces with the naked eye, which are tiny and pepper like.
Common household pest problem? Call in the professionals
It is essential that you call in the professionals to take care your common household pest problem. Even if you aren’t 100% sure you have a pest problem, calling in the experts will put your minds at ease. If you do have an infestation to get under control, call Bennetts Pest Control, who will inspect your property and put an action plan in place to rid your home of common household pest