Rats and mice are one of the more unpleasant pests that many homeowners will encounter. While they don’t cause the same damage of termites, a population of rats or mice in the home can cause plenty of problems if left unchecked – including damage to electrical wiring. Sometimes homeowners don’t even know there’s a problem until it gets way out of hand (rodents love to love and are born to breed after all!)
When it gets to this stage they can be difficult to tackle on your own and you’ll probably the help of pest control professionals. So what are the signs that you may have a problem with mice and rats on your hands? Bennetts Pest Control explain in our latest post.
RODENT INFESTATION SIGNS:
• Droppings – If you notice pointed ended pellets that are around half a cm in length this is a tell tale sign of vermin. Mice and rats produce around 50 droppings per day, so even a small a colony is capable of producing hundreds of droppings in short period – not something you want lying around your property.
• Gnawing marks – look around skirting boards and the exterior of your home. Rats and mice like to chew paper and cardboard for their nests so if you see any unexplained debris of these materials it’s another sign of a rodent infestation.
• Rub Marks – Since rats have a rather greasy coat of fur, an unexplained trail of grease along flooring can be the work of rats and mice. These are known as runways and rodents commonly use these same paths so they can follow familiar odours between their food and nest.
• Urine –Rodents also will leave urine droplets leaving a musty and unpleasant smell. Like their droppings a single mice will also leave behind urine droplets each day, often in the same areas where the rub marks and runways are found.
• Sights and Sounds – If you’ve heard scratching sounds in the walls or tapping noises in the roof (usually at night), and sometimes even screeching noises it’s a sign of mice or rats living in the home. If your pets begin to sniff or act excited in a particular area of the home this is a further sign that mice or rats are present.
Once you’ve found evidence of an infestation you need to act quickly. Don’t bother with cartoony cheese bait mice traps. Get the problem solved right away with a professional rodenticide and pest control treatment.
In The Redlands, and across Brisbane and, pest problems are solved with Bennetts Pest Control. If you think you’ve got rats on the loose, don’t delay – call us today. Ph. 1300 661 008